DIY Well Bucket w/pics

Well systems, rainwater harvesting, springs, filtering, storage, etc.
Blackthorn-USA
DIY Well Bucket w/pics

Post by Blackthorn-USA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:58 pm

People often talk about the lack of drinking water in an urban environment if the SHTF. What about the people in a rural area? If the power goes out for a few days or longer and they rely on a well they could find themselves in a bind too. Or perhaps you are building your BOL and have a well drilled but no power yet, or don’t plan to have power at all. Here’s a DIY method to get water out of a drilled well.

Well buckets have been around a long time and can still be purchased for around $75 at places like Lehmans or you can make your own for around $25.

You’ll first need to determine what size well casing you have. A 3” well bucket will fit a 5” casing, 4” in a 6” casing etc. Here I’m using 3” as it is more versatile given the possibility that I may use it in different wells.

To build this well bucket you need a 4’ or so length of 3” Shc. 40 PVC pipe, a 6” or so length of 1 ½ Sch 40 PVC pipe, a 3x1 ½” reducer and a 1 1/2” PVC check valve. Cell core pipe is fine. You’ll also need some heavy wire or a nut and bolt for the handle, some PVC glue, a saw and a drill.

On one end of the check valve you will see a spring. This spring needs to be removed. You can grab it with needle nose pliers, hook it with a screwdriver or even a sharp stick and pull it free. No need to unscrew the bolt holding it in place.

Now the check valve will only be gravity operated.

Glue the fittings together as shown in the picture making sure that the bolt in the check valve is pointing away from the body of the well bucket.

Attach a heavy wire handle as shown or you can put a bolt through from side to side for a handle. You have to have something to attach your rope to. Using the rope it’s self to tie through will rub against the sides of the casing and eventually wear through possibly losing your well bucket down the well.

Tie a rope of sufficient length to reach the water table in your well and you’re ready to get water. It’s a good idea to tie the opposite end of the rope to something above ground in case you accidentally let go of the rope.

Method of Operation
If you have a submersible pump you will most likely have to pull it out. Make sure the power is off at the breaker even though the power is “out”. Using the rope lower the well bucket into the well until it reaches water. As you lower it into the water the water will push the check valve open and fill the well bucket. Once the well bucket is full pull it up and out of the well. The water in the well bucket will hold the check valve closed. Repeat until you have as much water as you need. This well bucket holds about 2.5 gallons.

There are other methods to make these, this is just easy for most anyone with a minimum of tools. One simple mod that I’ll mention is running a small stainless steel wire from the bolt on top of the check valve up to the handle of the well bucket. This allows you to pull the wire to release the water as opposed to having to turn the well bucket onto Its side and pour the water out. This is particularly handy if your installation is semi permanent and you are using a tri-pod and pulley system.

Attached to the check valve nut.

Key ring used to pull valve open and release water in the vertical position.

That’s all there is to it. If you build one be sure to post up pics!
Image ..... Image

Jer

Re: DIY Well Bucket w/pics

Post by Jer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:15 pm

That is fantastic.
My grandmother was just informing me that one of the downstairs bathrooms in her house was an addition and it was built directly over a well like that.
Before reading this post, I was considering creating a secondary water supply to the house from this well.
Interesting timing. Thank you.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
--John F. Kennedy

WVPreppers

Re: DIY Well Bucket w/pics

Post by WVPreppers » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 pm

I just found a well on my property. Already has pvc piping running down into the well but its broke. I need to fix it.

I plan on running solar to the pump so that I am being as off the grid as possible with it.