The Hi-Point Carbine - It's actually pretty good.

AR vs AK, best optics, build info, etc. Anything long arm related.
Jer
The Hi-Point Carbine - It's actually pretty good.

Post by Jer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:42 am

Ok folks - I get it. Hi-Point has a bad reputation for their super ugly, high bulk handguns... and It's no surprise as to why - they are ugly as hell.

But, and this is a serious but, For anyone wanting a cheap ($250 +/-) Rifle - I would recommend the Hi-Point 995TS 9mm Carbine.

Sure, it's a 9mm, and 9mm has a bad rap as well, but the truth of the matter is, it is a fairly versatile round, cheap(ish) and easy to reload. and with the right ammo you can poke a NASTY hole through your target. Couple that with the the accuracy you get from using pistol ammo in a carbine and this is superior to any other 9mm handgun. Using a carbine increases the FPS (velocity) of the 9mm round and improves the ballistics.

This is the 995TS Carbine:
Barrel length: 16.5"
Overall length: 31.5 "
Weight: 7 lbs.
Stock: All weather polymer
Finishes offered: Black, Camo
Capacity: 10-shot magazine standard
Sights: Fully-adjustable
My Glock Mod 22 (Converted to a .357 Sig) is shown simply for size comparison.

One day after purchasing the carbine, I decided that I didn't like the solid black. The finish on the metal pieces was shiny and had a greasy look to it - which I didn't like. So I decided to change it up a bit and do the first, of what will be numerous modifications to this carbine - change the color. I HIGHLY recommend using Krylon with Fusion. This paint is specifically designed for adherence to plastics without using a primer or other chemical treatment. I opted for the flat almond color and ultra flat for the black highlights and metal pieces. The supplies shown are all I used. Painter's tape, 2 cans of paint, allen wrenches to take apart the weapon, latex gloves, denatured alcohol to degrease the plastic, razor blades to trim the masking, and 400 grit (wet) sand paper to prep the barrel as it would get a coat of ultra flat black too.

Here you can see the weapon stripped down. I didn't disassemble the bolt carrier or housing as they weren't going to be painted. However, I split the stock and removed all springs, pins and everything for painting. When you do this - BE CAREFUL! I dropped the magazine catch spring when I split the stock. That spring is about 1cm tall and .5cm across and black. Took me about an hour to find it.

Here is the final product. IMHO - I feel this is a MUCH Better look to the weapon.
Future modifications, which I will update in this thread, are:
1) Laser
2) Red Dot Scope
3) Stock Mounted Magazine Holders
4) Tactical Flashlight
5) Forearm Hand Grip
6) 2 Extra Picitiny Rails

The justification for the 7/10 on Zombie defense is thus:
1) Light weight
2) Durable
3) 9mm is a common round - easily found in SHTF scenarios
4) Reliable - reviews are 98% positive for this weapon
5) Modification ability
6) 15 Round capacity (with extended mags)-

After getting used to it's ergonomics today, I noticed that I did constantly have one hand position and that even in the cool weather, my hand began to lose grip from moisture. Not wanting to bugger up what I think is a fairly decent paint job, I opted for 3M Grip Tape that I bought from Lowes. I patterned out the areas on the grip that were factory designed, then I also looked at where my fingers were as I gripped the weapon in a shooting stance. I added grip tape where I applied the most force with my fingers when raising, aiming and shooting the weapon. You can't see it in the photo, but I also added a piece to the butt plate to help keep the weapon from sliding off my shoulder should I not have it pulled in tight enough.

Almost final modifications to the 995-TS:

1) Beamshot laser (mounted under barrel) with pressure switch on forearm grip.
2) Forearm grip - folding. Includes space inside for allen wrenches and take-down key.
3) 150 lumen LED tac-light (mounted on weaver rail above forearm grip)
4) 2 weaver rails (mounted on each side of forearm guard.
5) Magazine holders (mounted on buttstock - one on each side)
6) BSA RedDot scope co-witnessing the stock iron sights. <-- This may go. I'm not happy with the scope. I may do a small upgrad and replace this with a holographic sight.Time will tell....

Pretty sure I'll put a single point sling on it and 90% positive I'll be changing the scope.... I REALLY don't like the BSA RedDot...

Took the carbine out to the range yesterday. (Too cold for my yard)
Sighted her in and was overall very pleased with the performance of the carbine.
300 rounds in total. Zero misfires or hangfires. Zero Failure to eject.
(One issue with an extended ProMag magazine I have, but I was able to repair and fix and press on.

After getting her all sighted in, I can safely say that I now thoroughly enjoy this weapon!

That's 20 rounds (2 10rd mags with a pause for a change) from 25 meters.
Set for 2.3 inches high at 25 meters - so (if I did my math right) I should be .5in high at 100 yards and on target at 150.

So, what do you think? Have you changed your opinion on the Hi-Point Carbines yet?
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
--John F. Kennedy

Blackthorn-USA

Re: The Hi-Point Carbine - It's actually pretty good.

Post by Blackthorn-USA » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:52 pm

Who says you can't shine a turd? lol, ok, I just had to get my Hi-Point jab in there. The rifles actually are decent little guns. I had one for a while myself and while there is definitely room for improvement they seem to be fairly reliable and accurate. The disassembly procedure is a pain in the ass and the proprietary mags suck. If they made these take Glock mags… now that’d be awesome.

You did make that little joker look awfully good though. I looked long and hard at mine trying to come up with a way to make it into a bullpup, (to get rid of that ugly stock) and finally decided I had better things to do. In the end the only modification I did was removing about a 1/4” from the sight housing so I could mount a cheap red dot. I see you just took your rear sight off.
Image ..... Image

Jer

Post by Jer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:00 pm

Yep - for a $200 +/- carbine that improves on the FPS and FP/e from 9mm - that isn't a bad choice.
I really like it. And that optic gives me quick target acquisition.
I'm thinking of working with a 3D printer and trying to come up with a way to adapt better magazines for it.
But that is a very long term project.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
--John F. Kennedy

Gleedaniel13

Post by Gleedaniel13 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:25 am

Good job Jer!

The toy looks very amazing now.LOL..From garbage to an incredible one. I hope i cn redesign my toy like this one also.